Saturday 8 March 2014

The Bank That Likes to Say Yes


This last week has seen the KFB (Kingfisher Bank) put to use by two more species that were not on our original radar.


As the flood levels started to drop the muddy area around the bank had obviously become a good holding spot for fish and a number of Little Egrets were gathered around it.

Ay Up - What's he caught

As I watched one caught a sizable Perch and was forced to make a swift getaway in order to prevent the others snaffling his catch.

They're not having my fish supper

Then yesterday during a glorious early spring afternoon, I spotted a black and white bird snuggled down on the gravel roof of the bank.



It seems we also have an OCB - Oystercatcher Bank.

 
I suspect the Oystercatcher was only resting up - but - on the other hand it does look a bit like it might fancy the spot as a potential brood site.

We certainly seem to be getting full value for all the hard work and effort.

2 comments:

  1. It's been too long since I last went to Linford reserve, I really must get a permit sorted again, and get down there I hear the photographic opportunities are really good for tits at the feeders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, I LOVE oystercatchers. EVERYTHING about them. The way they look, move, etc.; and their calls sound like little kids yelling. Plus, ANY bird w/a bright red eye makes me swoon.

    ReplyDelete