Friday 1 November 2013

Chris Packham
Autumnwatch Thursday 31st October



I have been known, in the past, to be less than complimentary, regarding the presentation style of some of the Spring(Autumn)Watch presenters, if I'm honest, on occasions probably downright rude.

So, for me, to be both moved and motivated by the words of Chris Packham at the close of last nights program came as a bit of a shock.

You see, last night, he hit something deep in the heart of me, that made me realise why I am so proud to be the Chairman of FoHESC.

Following another fantastic piece by wildlife photographer John Aitchison featuring the river Ythan (north of Aberdeen) Chris very eloquently summed up Johns closing message:

"We've all got our patches, places that we go to, places that we love.
We need to learn to look after them.
If you've got a patch, look after it.
Sometimes it comes down to you - Nobody else is going to do it - otherwise in twenty years it may be gone." 

For me I guess that patch is HESC, the potential is fantastic - but the threats are real too. Shrinking council budgets, pressure for spaces to build and digging out the last ounces of mineral resources along with uncertainty regarding the eventual ownership of the site, all pose medium to long term risk regarding the future of the reserve.


But Chris is right - it does come down to us - and together, I am positive we can see the patch that we love thrive and develop.

If therefore, you feel as I do that these wild places are worth preserving, please continue to support the Friends Group, as I know, you have in the past - and if possible - encourage other like minded souls to visit on Open Sundays and even join us as members.

This Sunday we will again be working on the new Kingfisher Bank and with luck burning off the scrub we cut on the bund a month back, along with any other small tasks that need doing - please if you can, come and join in (Boy Scouts, old and new with fire lighting skills very welcome).

Best wishes

Tony Bedford
Chairman FoHESC

Please click on the events tab above to see the dates of future open days and events.

2 comments:

  1. Yer great big softie, you.

    But it is true, we have to look after the places we love.

    And I'm sure Chris will accept your apology ;o)

    ReplyDelete